Wednesday 27 March 2013

White Vinegar...who knew it could be so useful ;)

Well... I think we all did really! My mum used to have a book about the uses of white vinegar, including some really useful tips and some really weird and wacky ones (including some on contraception....which I'm not going to say on here!!)

So here's a TOP TEN list of the ones that I use and think are really helpful. 

White vinegar is really cheap, and therefor ideal to use in this currant economical climate. 

White Vinegar can be bought from all good Supermarkets :)

OK, so here goes...

1. Cleaning the microwave - use 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of water in a safe microwavable bowl. Pop it inside the microwave and 'nuke' it until the water is boiling. Hopefully, any baked on food will be loosed and odours will vanish. Then just wipe clean. ( I think I should do this to the microwave in work, before we all catch e-coli! - no joke!)

2. For making glassware sparkle - use undiluted white vinegar for this. Get some paper towels and soak it in the vinegar. Wrap the paper towels inside and outside of the glass. Leave it for a while and then give it a rinse.

3. Removing stains from tea/coffee cups - I'm going to get Prince Frugal to do this, as he's a bit of a half a job Harry when it comes to cleaning the mugs! sssshhhh don't tell him I told you!   Use equal parts white vinegar and salt (or you can you baking soda) scrub the cups gently and then rinse clean.

4. Stained and smelly plastic containers - Use undiluted white vinegar and with a cloth, wipe clean

5. Smelly lunch boxes - Soak a piece of bread in white vinegar and leave in the box overnight.

6. Removing grime, mildew and scum from the bath tub, tiles, shower curtain or door -Use undiluted white vinegar and with a cloth, wipe clean, and then rinse with water.

7. Washing powder  -You can save on the amount of washing powder you use by half, by adding 175ml of white vinegar to your washing machine drum.

8. "When I'm Cleaning Window" (One for the mum's) - You can clean your window with white vinegar and then buff with newspaper. I add lemon juice to this, to make it smell nice.

9. Too much salt, yuck! - If you've added too much salt to a recipe, you can add a spoonful of white vinegar and sugar, to try to correct the taste.

And finally ...

10. Pesty Cats - Cats are great, but now when they poop in your sand pit!! Spray around your kiddies sand pit , and hopefully this will keep the cat away.


Well I hope these tips are helpful. I'm off now to the supermarket, I need some more vinegar. :)

1 comment: