Thursday 28 March 2013

Cheap and Easy Tomato Soup

I've told a few people about my homemade tomato soup...and some have turned their noses up at it because I use tinned tomato's....well give it a go and see for yourselves! Prince Frugal enjoys it and he's rather fussy.

This is really quick to make too.

Number of servings: 4 (Just double the ingredients if you need more)

Ingredients:


  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 cans of chopped tomatoes (I use supermarkets own brand for 31p - bargain)
  • 1 pint of stock - your preference (I use vegetable - with a good old oxo cube)
(BTW I went to Lidl yesterday and you could get oxo cubes 2 boxes for £1, and they normally cost about a £1 in other supermarkets)

  • 1 TBS Dried Basil
  • Olive oil
  • Garlic Italia herbs
  • Worcestershire Sauce

What to do....
  1. Chop up your onions and the garlic in fry in the oil until golden brown
  2. Pour in your can of chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil, then simmer for about 5min
  3. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, and again simmer for 5min
  4. Add basil, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, about a tea spoon of garlic italia (add more if you like) and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Blend to make it lovely and smooth.
  6. Enjoy....tastes really lovely with a cheese sandwich.
This recipe can also be frozen ( I have two portions in the freezer ready for Prince Frugal's lunch next week)

Hope you enjoy. I  would love to hear any feedback if you tried this recipe...good or bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment